(Lima) Beans and Delhi Cha(a)t

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Bhapa Doi - Bengali Dessert


So we completed a year. With this blog, I mean. What a fun-filled ride it has been! What better way to celebrate this blog's anniversary than to bring something traditional? And how would it be if that something is also sweet? Good you say? Well, I agree.

Back in the nascent days of this blog (not that it's in any way grown up now), my talented writer friend Lisa once remarked, "Your blog needs more dessert items." Ouch! 'Seems like neither of the two bloggers who write this foodie journal have a well-cultured sweet tooth. But that shouldn't keep us from sharing the goodies with sugar lovers out there. Here's a good way to rectify this lack in this blog year then. With a traditional Bengali dessert.

Bhapa is steamed in Bengali and doi is yogurt. So there you have it--steamed yogurt. This is amongst the simplest of sweet dishes to whip up and easily amongst the yummiest. Don't let the simplicity underestimate its worth for you. In about ten days from now, this very Bengali sweet dish will be on the menu for the official celebrations of Britain's Queen Elizabeth's 80th birthday.

Shall we get to the whipping up process then?

Bhapa Doi (Steamed Yogurt)

Ingredients:

Natural yogurt: 100 grams
Condensed milk: 100 grams
Cardamom (crushed): 2-3

Method:

1. Take around 400 grams of natural yogurt and drain the water off it by hanging it in a fine cloth for at least 6-7 hours. You will get about 1/4 the original amount of yogurt.

2. Put the dehydrated yogurt in a large bowl. Add the condensed milk to it and whip. It should turn into a smooth paste. Take care to see there are no lumps.

3. Add the crushed cardamom and mix once more.

4. Place the curd mix inside a container with a lid.

5. Steam it for 15-20 minutes. I used the pressure cooker without the pressure vent device. I filled the cooker with some water, placed the container inside it, letting the water cover half of it.

6. Take curd mix off heat. Let it cool naturally.

7. Serve in room temperature or cold. You can cut it into pieces like I did or just scoop it up with a spoon and enjoy.

The texture of bhapa doi is cheesecake-like soft. The taste has a hint of yogurt and a creamy richness. Add to that the sweetness and the aroma of cardamom. It's a delight, which, if you bite into once, will pull you again and again.



All yours :)
Sury

P.S.
In case I can't post another entry within this week, this is my contribution to Anthony's Curry Mela.

16 comment(s):

I have tasted this. Its great. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:40 AM  

Ah ! I love this. There was this Bengali sweet shop in Green Park, Delhi (Annapoorna ??)Forgot the name. Me and my friend used to frequent this place to eat Bappa Doi and Mishti Doi. Thank you, thank you , thank you for this recipe.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:56 AM  

I've never heard of this, but it sounds like the taste would be interesting. I'm also one of those people without much of a sweet tooth. Maybe it's a blessing!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:23 AM  

Glad to share, Shilpa :)

Krithika, you surprised me. I wasn't aware Annapoorna sells bhapa doi; must try it sometime. You are most welcome. It's my joy to share this simple recipe with you all :)

Kalyn, this is a suprisingly nice-tasting, mildly sweet dessert. Perfect for non-sugar addicts.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:08 PM  

Wow this recipe looks scrumptuous. I've never had it before... but its possibly shrikhand-ish, paneer-ish taste is really tempting. I'm will try this one for sure.

Happy Blog-iversary!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:22 PM  

Thank you so much for this recipe.I was craving for this,now I can attempt to make myself:)
Was interesting to know the Queen had it for b'day!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:26 AM  

Hi Sury,
Nice recipe.
I like to make this.
Thanks for sharing.
Vineela

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:09 AM  

Garam Masala, you described it so well. Shrikhand and paneer--that's exactly what it tastes like. Do try it sometime :)

Anwesha, glad to share the recipe. Sure you can make it; it's too simple not to try.

Vineela
, try it, and let me know how it turned out.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:10 AM  

Delicious dessert, I wouldn't wanna miss trying it out. Thanks for sharing :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:44 AM  

Thanks, Lera. Do let me know how it turns out for you :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:30 PM  

Congratulations and thank you for posting this interesting recipe. I have never heard of this,will it out soon.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:39 AM  

Thank you, Archana. Do try this; you won't be disappointed :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:30 AM  

Thaks a lot for this recipe. I am now out of Bangladesh and really there is no comparison with bengali foods with any food. I will try this recipe and thans for it again.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:13 AM  

Glad to share, Razib. I will post more Bengali recipes, so keep checking in.

Thanks for dropping by and commenting.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:30 AM  

If i dont try this, my head will BURST! What a gorgeous sounding sweet!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:18 PM  

Shammi, so good to see you after a while. I hope you can try this out soon, since it's so easy to make. Best wishes :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:12 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home