(Lima) Beans and Delhi Cha(a)t

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Citrus, Luscious, Sweet

For me, that is a combination to die for, when it comes to desserts.


In my previous post I sent out best wishes for the Bengali new year, which we welcomed last Saturday. In keeping with the very Indian tradition of greeting any auspicious or joyous occasion with something sweet, I have brought a dessert as my first blog offering in the new year. As you can guess by now, it's not just sweet though, but also juicy and refreshing.

It is komlalebur payesh or orange-milk pudding I am talking about. I have mentioned in some previous posts that I am not much of a sweet lover. I stand by that statement. This dessert comes in as a bit of exception though. How so? Because it uses my most-loved fruit as a main ingredient! Easy to make, this pudding is zestful, sweet (of course), and aromatic. A perfect finale for summertime meals.

Komlalebur Payesh (Orange-Milk Pudding)

Ingredients:

Oranges: 4-5
Condensed Milk: 1 can
Milk: 2 tablespoons
Sugar: To taste (Since the condensed milk is sweet, I didn't add any extra sugar. You can, as per your taste though)
Cardamom powder: 1/2 teaspoon
Chopped almonds/cashews/pistachios

Method:

1. Peel the oranges. De-skin and de-seed them.
2. Put the orange pulp in a bowl and keep aside.

3. In a separate bowl, pour the condensed milk and the milk. Whisk well. Add more sugar if you want at this stage.
4. Now add the orange pulp and cardamom powder to the milk base and lightly stir it.
5. Put the chopped nuts and refrigerate.
6. Serve chilled.

If you are a sweet lover, unlike me, you will love this. If you are an orange-lover, like me, you will want to eat it again. And again.

And of course the open secret is, since this is amongst the simplest of desserts to make, it won't even hurt to go for repeat performances.


Shall we? Dig in, I mean ;)

Sury

21 comment(s):

This Fruit pudding is yummmmmmmm, sury Belated Wishes for the Bengali New year.Looking fwd to see more Appeizing Bengali recipes :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:56 PM  

Best wishes to you too, Lera! Thanks and I will sure try to showcase some more of Bengali cuisine :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:23 PM  

Hi,
I do make this one but after seeing this recipe i am going to add the nuts and cardamom.Thanks for the taste iam going to get after variation.
Vineela

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:25 AM  

I am sure you will like the variation, Vineela. Do let me know how it turns out :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:14 AM  

yummy, i love one with yoghurt too. the oranges are irresistible

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:47 AM  

Aren't they, Rokh! Good to see you drop by :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:58 AM  

Oh,I love oranges and your recipe is so simple and delicious.
Belated wishes for Happy Bengali New Year,Sury!
Cheers

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:29 PM  

Belated wishes for a happy bengali new year,Sury.
I love oranges and your recipe is simple and delicious.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:31 PM  

Thanks for the best wishes, Sailu! I hope you can make the orange dessert and like it :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:10 PM  

I love citruses so must give this a try. And you dont like sweets? Are you sure you are Bengali? :-)
PS - that was me in the comment section in the last post. I didnt know my name wasnt stored.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:21 PM  

Lol, Ashwini, I am more than sure ;)

Yes, although I do a disservice to my community by my un-sweet preferences, I tend to make up for it by my exceeding love of fish. :P

The comment feature on this blog doesn't let me publish anonymous comments. So while I got your previous comment in the inbox, I couldn't publish it :(. Thanks for commenting again!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:38 PM  

Sury, I am happy to know that you also dont like sweets. I thought I am the only one :).
BTW...I love this dish. Its not like the normal sweets :D.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:45 AM  

the recipe is great. i'll try it.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:54 AM  

Shilpa, good to have another savoury lover in the company! I hope you can try this dessert though. You won't be disappointed :).

Lakshmi, thanks :). Do let me know how it turns out for you.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:03 AM  

<Belated happy Bengali new year.

Who's other from peru? how's come.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:15 AM  

Thanks, Ramya and welcome to our blog. My blog partner Cesar is from Peru, while I (as you can probably tell) am from India.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:34 AM  

Yes, yes! Let's dig in!

Best,
Paz

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:49 AM  

p.s. I love the top photo of the arranged oranges. ;-)

Paz

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:50 AM  

Thanks, Paz! I hope you can make this easy dessert at home and enjoy it :).

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:50 AM  

everything looks so yummy! i must resist! resist! resist! resist! resist! resist! resist! resist! resist! resist! resist! resist! resist! resist! resist! resist! resist! resist! resist! resist! resist! resist! resist! resist! until I feel hungry.....

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:40 AM  

My god, what a blast from the past! I haven't heard of kamlalebur payesh in years. I grew up in Calcutta and it used to be my favorite dessert as a child who doesn't like sweets and my grandmom would make it often. I think she just boiled and thickened whole milk rather than using canned milk but the recipe sounds the same. So excited to see this and will certainly try it out soon. Thank you!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:05 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home