(Lima) Beans and Delhi Cha(a)t

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Jihva for Ingredients: Green Mango Chutney


I admit I have been a late comer to this event. However, I am not squarely to blame for that. Between computer woes, my other blog, and a long power cut (yes, summer has arrived in India), I barely found time for helping Mother prepare my entry and take the pictures. But I am here now, and I promise not to keep you waiting on this one.

As I hopped my way around the blogs that entered the Jihva for Ingredients (JFI) event, hosted by the wonderful Indira of Mahanandi, I found a particular phrase echoing through most of them. It went thus: "When I first heard of JFI..." And so, to carry on with that refrain I have to say when I first heard of this very delicious new food blog event, I immediately thought of the green mango chutney that is a star attraction of any Bengali platter. Tempered with the typical Bengali spice-mix called panch phoron, this is a chutney that is usually served at the end of a meal and one that promises to keep you licking your fingers happily ever after.

Aamer Chatni (Green Mango Chutney)

Ingredients:

Green mangoes: Two, peeled and diced
Sugar: 300 grams
Salt: 3/4 teaspoon
Raisins

For tempering:
Ginger: 1 teaspoon, finlely julienned
Panch phoron (mix seeds of fenugreek, nigella, mustard, fennel, and cumin in equal measure): 1/2 teaspoon
Dry red chili: 1

Method:

1. Put the diced mango, sugar, raisins, and salt in a pressure cooker and cook until 3 whistles.
2. Take the cooker off the heat and let the pressure get released.
3. Heat oil in a wok and add the ingredients for tempering. Fry for a minute or two and immediately mix it with the boiled magoes.
4. Pressure cook again for one more whistle.
5. When the pressure is released, transfer into a container. Let it cool
6. Relish!

The tart taste of mangoes, along with its refreshing scent, when mixed with sugar and spiced with panch phoron, deliver a jelly-like chutney to remember.


Dip your finger ;)

Sury

A special note of thanks:
To Anthony for providing the Menu category (see new sidebar feature) code, and to Cesar for painstakingly setting it up on the blog.

20 comment(s):

ok sury, i can't be polite anymore. when are you inviting me home? i want the komlalebu payesh and aamer chatni for sure and the beler panna as a welcome drink :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:00 PM  

Hey, Rums, no need to be polite at all. You are most welcome. Be sure, we shall prepare all the things of your choice. Just give me a day's notice, :P.

Btw, there are quite a few delights for which I should like to invite myself over at your place too. Besides the chance to play with your little doll that is :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:46 PM  

Oh, i can't even talk, what a mouthwatering recipe. V.er.y G..o...od
Archana

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:55 PM  

Liked your summertime refreshmentfor weekend herbalbloging.In english it is referred to wood apple .By the way ,I was also delhite till early 90's.I studied the school just behind Shyam Mukherjee school Lodi road.So happy to see your blogging from Delhi.
Would like to correspond with you?Would you mind?
Lastly ,your recipe forJhiva is truly
tasty.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:40 PM  

One thing I've never tried is green mangoes and sugar combination chutney. Sure looks tempting!

Thanks Sury for participating in JIF-Mango Event and also please say big thanks to your mom for me for preparing this wonderful, traditional dish.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:54 AM  

Thanks for the nice comments, everyone!

Archana, lol. That's so nice of you to say that.

Ramya, thanks for the kind words and the info on bel. You studied in a school behind my school??? Wow! Feel free to keep in touch; I don't mind at all :)

Thanks a lot, Indira. It was a pleasure to participate in JFI. I am glad you liked the chutney; do try it sometime. I conveyed your thanks to Ma. She was very touched and said you are most welcome :).

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:14 PM  

raw mangoes with sugar combo, haven't tried .....looks great.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:45 PM  

Hey.... It wasn't much i did... You r most welcome anyway

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:27 PM  

Do try it if you can, Lakshmi. You will like it :).

Anthony, you did plenty. Your help is much appreciated :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:04 PM  

Thatz my fav chutney. Thanx for sharing the recipe.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:59 PM  

Glad I could share, Pushpa :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:51 PM  

ya i know this one... finish my bowl of aamer chutney even before the rest of the food has arrived on my platter... and then ofcourse i have more of it...so for those who havn't had this heavenly chutney... go for it and you will never repent... right sury?!
anita

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:25 AM  

How true, Anita. Good to see another lover of this delish chutney :D.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:30 AM  

Yum!

Paz (still licking finger!)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:42 AM  

Lol, thanks, Paz!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:21 AM  

Sury,
Thanks a lot for this recipe too. I am a very big fan of mango chutney and mango pickle. I guess in Bangladesh, we add a bit green chilie too. During summer and the rainy season, almost every day, I eat mango with rice and lentil.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:33 PM  

Razib, thanks for the kind words. You are right, green chilli can be added to this chutney, too. And that meal you mentioned--mango with rice and lentil--that's just divine, isn't it? Especially on a hot summer day.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:40 PM  

Hi Sury,

Having lived in West Bengal for nearly 18 years, I just love hogging on bengali delicacies. And this chutney is so typically 'bangla' and so yummmmmyyyy!!! I've tried making this aamer chutney exactly the way you listed it out - many times! And each time with lip smacking results! Very authentic and tastes just like what I used to have back home!

By Blogger Shilpi, at 11:57 PM  

Shilpi, now that's a revelation. I didn't know about your Bengal connection! So nice to hear you've tried this chutney with success multiple times. But that's not surprising. You are such a good cook. :)

By Blogger Sury, at 12:04 AM  

Hello
Lovely photo of the mango chutney. It looks more like a sauce. But I wld give anything to dip my fingers into it. Thanks for sharing this recipe.
Chk this recipe which again is a combination of mango and sugar.
http://www.indusladies.com/forums/12959-post64.html

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:11 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home