(Lima) Beans and Delhi Cha(a)t

Monday, September 04, 2006

Garden Fish

Our regular readers by now know I live in the coast of Peru where, of course, fish is an important and welcomed ingredient in many homes. It's interesting though that I was never such a big fan of fish. As a child I frowned whenever my mother made something apart from canned tuna... with one exception.

There was this dish I loved, it was called Garden Fish (I never knew why) and I always knew it was coming when I saw my mother cutting fish into those dice-sized cubes. This is a simple one for all the fish lovers, with an assortment of vegetables (carrots, peas, bell peppers). The fish cubes are previously fried and then mixed with the rest of the ingredients. You can serve it with some rice the way we do at home.

I have to say, after all these years I've changed my views towards fish, I actually love tuna and salmon and trout, but Garden Fish will forever be this tradition which never fails to bring back those childhood memories.

Wanna take a look at it?

Ingredients (for 6):

1 kg. fresh fish
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup bread powder
salt & pepper
1/2 cup oil
1 chopped med-size onion
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 green aji in stripes
1 med-size chopped tomato
1 red bell pepper in stripes
1 choclo (maize)
1 carrot
1/4 kg. peas
1/2 kg. potatoes


Preparation:

1. Season the fish with salt and pepper, cut in small cubes, dunk them in the bread powder and flour and fry.



2. In 3 tbsp. oil fry onion, garlic, ají, salt, pepper, tomato and half the bell pepper. When it's well cooked add the choclo grains and carrot; let cook for 15 minutes then add potatoes (and more water if needed). Cook on low heat.

3. Finally, add the fried fished cubes and the rest of the bell pepper; mix and remove from the heat.


I hope you get to try this evocative dish and I hope you enjoy it :)

Dig in!

Cesar

8 comment(s):

I KNOW I cannot wait to try this. How come you kept this delicious recipe hidden all this while? It sounds just the thing to satiate a fish lover's appetite. Thank you!

By Blogger Sury, at 9:19 AM  

You must let me know when you try it, Sury :D

By Blogger cesarcarlos, at 9:24 AM  

Very interesting and I learned something too with the links for the Aji and chocio.

By Blogger Kalyn Denny, at 7:51 PM  

Hi Kalyn,

Glad those links were useful! :D

By Blogger cesarcarlos, at 8:50 PM  

Looks great Cesar. Can you please specify which fish is used for this dish? Thanks.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:25 PM  

Glad you liked Shilpa. Mmm, well we use any type of white fish (no salmon, no tuna, no trout). Last time we used tilapia, which worked really well. We also have tried a local fish called "cojinova" though I'm embarassed to say I don't know if it has a translation.

By Blogger cesarcarlos, at 7:52 PM  

Cesar,

Fish names are one of the hardest things to translate, usually because the same fish can have lots of different names!

This recipe looks very easy to make, I think I'm going to try it too. Thanks!

Alejandro
Peru Food
.
.
.

By Blogger ::Alejandro::, at 3:54 AM  

You are so right Alejandro. And with us having such an enormous variety of fish, the task is never easy.

Hope you enjoy! :D

By Blogger cesarcarlos, at 9:30 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home