(Lima) Beans and Delhi Cha(a)t

Sunday, December 04, 2005

Weekend Herb Blogging: GINGER



This post is of special significance. It’s our first participation in a blog event. Kalyn, of Kalyn’s Kitchen holds this wonderful weekly event called Weekend Herb Blogging (WHB) in which bloggers from all over the world write about herbs and post recipes using those herbs. Isn’t that a cool idea?

This week, I have come with the powerful and flavourful root—ginger. I belong to the state of Bengal in eastern India and in our cuisine, ginger has a very important place. In fact, most of the diverse Indian cuisines use the ginger root. Kashmiri cuisine uses dry ginger and its powder extensively in its array of mouth-watering dishes. Going by the range of benefits ginger packs within itself, I am not complaining.

According to an ancient Indian saying, all good things are found in ginger. Quite a bit of truth in that. During winters, ginger works as a magic herb to fight nasty cold attacks across many Indian homes. Grated ginger with honey and freshly-crushed black pepper, ginger and basil juice, and my favourite milk-sugar tea (or chai as we call it) with a dash of ginger in it—all these are part of the cold-busting arsenal in Indian households.

Ginger is also effective against digestive disorders, respiratory disorders, aches and pains, skin disorders, and motion sickness. Read more on this wonder root here.

For this week’s WHB, I am presenting a simple yet great tasting ginger pickle. Pretty easy to make once you’ve julienned it fine.


Ginger Pickle in Lime Juice:

Ingredients:

Ginger – 300 gms
Lime - 300 gms
Salt – 50 gms (the salt is both for taste as well as for preserving the pickle).

Method:

1. Julinne the ginger real fine and put in a bowl.
2. Add the juice of the limes to the ginger.
3. Add salt.

Voila! Your pickle is ready. Store in a jar and keep in sunlight for a few days for the ginger to nicely soak in the lime juice.


This pickle is very popular at our home and goes well with any and every kind of meal. The lime juice lends it a refreshing touch and also tempers the strong flavour of ginger.

This has to be one of those (rare) healthy pickles. So do try it out if you can. You won’t regret :)

Sury

14 comment(s):

Welcome to Weekend Herb Blogging. I love what you wrote about ginger. I'm curious if this is similar to the type of sliced, pickled ginger that is commonly served with sushi? I love that type of ginger pickles, so I'm guessing I would like this very much too.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:59 AM  

Thanks for your comment, Kalyn! I have never tasted sushi or the type of pickle you mentioned, so can't confirm if this is the same. But this one tastes great--refreshing and gingery. Try it :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:29 AM  

lovely post! this ginger pickle recipe is one of my favourites..i love eating with curd rice.

suri, how do i participate in weekend herb blogging? would love to. can you leave me the details on my blog.

and thanks for participating in the end-of-the-year contest!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:19 PM  

just tried commenting on your blog and it won't allow me to. trying again

love this ginger pickle recipe. i enjoy it with curd rice.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:21 PM  

Thanks for the comments, Lulu! Sorry about them showing up a bit late. It's because I have taken the comment moderation option.

For weekend herb blogging, you can just go to Kalyn's Kitchen from the link in my post. You will find Kalyn's detailed post on participation there. Hope that helps.

Let me know if you need more help :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:25 AM  

This sounds great! I'm going to make some.
Thanks to Kalyn for exposing me to all these wonderful new blogs.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:28 AM  

Glad you decided to make it, cookiecrumb; you won't be disappointed. Yes, Kalyn must be thanked for this wonderful effort that brings bloggers from all over the world together.

Thanks for your kind words on our blog. After seeing yours, I am blushing though. It's fantastic! And oh yes, food and politics do taste good together ;)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:15 AM  

So sorry about turning you into a man! I will fix it right away. It's funny because there is another Indian blogger named Vijay and I was worrying about another week whether it was a man's name. I guessed that it was, and I must have been right, because he didn't correct me!
Maybe my name is confusing for people from other places too? I'm just assuming that people know I'm a woman!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:41 AM  

No problem at all, Kalyn. With so many cultures hobnobbing with each other over the cyber highway, it's hard to decipher these things. You were right with Vijay--that is a man's name. My nick (Sury) can be confusing even for Indians. It is actually an abridged version of Suryamukhi (female name), which means sunflower. Since most of my Western Internet friends could never bring themselves to say that big a name, they promptly reduced it to "Sury". And that's how I got this name. And it has stuck ever since.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:53 AM  

Hi Sury,

In case my photo looks like a man, i am infact a woman... LOL.

I like ginger in food not only it has a wonderful smell, it tastes great too. Also you can make tea with it too by boiling fresh ginger in water.

I like the look and sound of Peruvian Rice and Chicken also the fried chilli fish. YUM! I Love Chillies!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:50 PM  

Lol, thanks for the laugh, Mae. Don't worry, your photo is fine. You are right about the ginger tea. It happens to be my favourite winter beverage.

Glad you liked the other recipes too. We hope to post some more delights soon!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:26 PM  

Sury ,never heard of this recipe before--your Ginger preserve is very appealing! plan to try sometime soon-

by the way ,I did try your gooseberries recipe it was a good combo with curd Rice.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:13 PM  

Thanks, Lera! Glad to know you liked the gooseberry recipe. You will like this one too :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:32 PM  

that looks great and so easy.
I tried to make red onion pickle the other day but I put too much salt.
I think I might get some ginger and try this.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:59 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home