(Lima) Beans and Delhi Cha(a)t

Sunday, June 05, 2005

Dinner at midnight

So... my first blog ever!

My friend Sury thought it would be a nice idea doing this blog together and I couldn't agree more. It's hard to keep track of the times we've stayed up (we're on opposite sides of the world so someone is staying up late at some point) chatting about dishes one of us is familiar with but the other isn't.

We're always asking each other "did you have dinner yet"? Just last night, as Sury was creating our blog, I was nuking my dinner. She was starting a fresh day while it was 11 p.m. here. Yup, late for dinner. I'm a bit of a procrastinator when it comes to dinner. Since night is the time I usually use to read or chat or work on the computer, many times it's close to midnight when I walk into the kitchen.

So once again, when Sury asked what I was having, we started one of our usual conversations. Sometimes dinner can be something simple and universal; others, it can be odd and very local.

Yesterday I had something called Picante de Caigua. Caiguas are vegetables. They are usually eaten stuffed, since they are hollow, although yesterday I was having them chopped in rings, with a kind of hot sauce with shredded nuts. You never it caiguas by themselevs, since they are bitter, although I am one of those step-eaters many people can't tolerate, lol. By step-eater I mean I eat my plate in sections.

A very typical use of caigua is to stuff them with chopped meat, corn, black olives, etc. At home we have a variation of this, we stuff them with tuna. We eat them with rice (rice is served with a lot of dishes in Peru) and sometimes (not my personal choice) with sweet potatoes.



So, there you have it. A first look at what food can be lie on this part of the world. We'll keep bringing you more insightful glances at our different traditions. India and Peru are countries with a LOT of food history, and we want to share it with everyone who wants to read about it.

Pass the gravy!

cesarcarlos

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home