(Lima) Beans and Delhi Cha(a)t

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Keeping the Embers Burning

Anthony tagged me for a common cold remedy meme. Glad to share my tips with you all. They are simple, but effective.

By Indian tropical standards, it gets pretty cold in New Delhi. This is a region marked by extremes of weather--both hot and cold. So every winter, almost all Delhiites become suceptible to those cold attacks. And wisdom says medication helps just as much as the absence of it. With medication your cold will abate in a week; without it, in seven days.

Me, I am healthy otherwise (a bit too healthy perhaps, lol) and the immune system seems just fine to dodge most ailments. But the cold grips me too once in a while, and you guessed it right, I don't enjoy that.

So with the onset of winter this season, I was targetted by the cold monster one morning. When the tissues started pershing in dozens, I knew it was time to enter the combat zone. I decided to chase the cold away in a day; I couldn't bear it longer than that. So besides some chicken soup, this is what I had at regular intervals during the day:

Hot Lemonade with crushed ginger and pepper

In a glass of lukewarm water, add the juice of half a lime, some crushed ginger and freshly crushed black pepper. Add sugar to your liking and a pinch of salt. Drink 3-4 times in the day.


What actually happens when we get cold attacks is that the immune system becomes weaker and this in turn disturbs the body's balance. So the best solution is to consume things that generate heat. Or as Ayurveda says, keeping the body's fire burning. I make use of the ginger root and black pepper for this. And for strengthening my immune system, I rely on Vitamin C coming from the Citrus.

And how can I do without a cup of hot adrak (ginger in Hindi) chai? Cold or no cold, this is welcome all winter. This is how I make my cup of

Ginger tea


Put some crushed ginger into a cup of water, with 3-4 teaspoons milk added to it. Bring this to a boil. Turn off heat and put about a teaspoon of tea leaves. Cover the teapot and let the tea leaves brew for around 4-5 minutes. Now strain into a cup and add sugar.

Sip hot!


Believe me, my cold was gone the next morning. The box of tissues still has a good many left in it ;)


Sury


PS: After writing this post, I forgot I also had to tag five more bloggers. So here we go: Ashwini , Lulu , Paz , Rowena , and Deccanheffalump . Let's beat the cold monster together!

18 comment(s):

Sury! I have no cold remedies! Rarely get a cold to tell you the truth. But I promise to play along and find one.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:42 AM  

Ginger seems to be the 'it' thing, to fight the cold across all cuisines, it seems.

Great entries Sury, I particularly liked the ginger tea photo. I can smell it from here.:)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:05 PM  

I love my adrak chai..cold or no cold..:)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:25 PM  

Hi Sury!

I love your cold remedy -- lemonade, ginger, and pepper! And now that I've discovered how to make chai, I also love your hot adrak chai. I'd like to make this even if I don't have a cold. ;-) Do you have a recipe handy for the adrak chai?

Thanks for tagging me. I have already posted the meme here.

Best,
Paz

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:16 PM  

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

Deccanheffalump, may you never get a cold attack :) But yes, do play. I will look forward to it.

Indira
, so right you are about ginger! I loved your potent ginger ale too :)

Sailu, isn't that so true about adrak chai? :D

Paz
, great to hear from you. The hot lemonade is truly a wonder remedy, what with Vitamin C in it. I will modify my post to include the ginger tea recipe for you :). Checked out your meme too; who can ever beat tomato chicken soup? That image from VK's dhaba is permanently etched in my memory :P

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:53 PM  

i like ginger tea, even without the cold :) especially on a winter's evening. i use a anti-cold remedy. boil a cup of water with an inch of ginger, smashed, 2-3 cloves, 1 bay leaf, a handful of basil leaves (tulsi), 4-5 whole black pepper. once it has boiled, let it simmer for 10-15 on medium heat. it has a tinge and brings out eeky stuff from the lungs and brings much relief too :)

Parna

foodiesbar.blogspot.com

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:47 AM  

Nice blog. Thanks for visiting mine. I have added u to my blogroll. Keep visiting http://aayisrecipes.blogspot.com

shilpa

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:11 AM  

Parna, that is what is probably known as karah in North India--super potent for cold, I agree; but the taste just too explosive for me :P

Hi Shilpa!
Thanks for including us in your blogroll. I need to include your blog as well. It's a treasure trove of recipes. Keep up the good work :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:05 AM  

Sury, I am printing this out right NOW. I just read your email and sent a reply. These remedies are exactly what I need at the moment. Thanks for tagging me but give me a few days to get better! :-)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:18 PM  

How coincidental, Rowena! I am glad to have tagged you; can hardly wait for the recipe you mentioned in the email :P

And yes, do get well soon :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:29 PM  

I am not very good at home remedies but I am going to play for you! Your lemonade made me want to reach through the laptop!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:53 AM  

Aww, Ashwini. The lemonade, made in warm water, tastes great even without the ginger and pepper, which I add only during cold attacks. Try it sometime.

Good to know you are playing. Will look forward to your entry!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:38 AM  

THANKS for the tea recipe. I definitely going to try it!

Best,
Paz

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:01 AM  

You are welcome, Paz :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:21 PM  

will blog about it this weekend, sury, as i just picked up the meme!
i had a wretched cold for over a month so i have a few tips to share :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:54 PM  

Wonderful, Lulu! Looking forward to hear how you chased that wretched cold away :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:20 PM  

Ginger is such an incredible reliever of what I call the winter-crud. Thanks for the reminder because I'm in some serious need of it now.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:50 AM  

Hi!
Nice info, big thx.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:48 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home